Monday, January 26, 2009

I'm Plastered

OK, not really, but I got your attention, didn't I?

A couple weeks ago, I took a class on American Earth Clay Plaster application. The class was offered at Amicus Green Building Supply in Kensington, MD (http://www.amicusgreen.com). This a really cool, environmentally-friendly product that we've admired for some time. This is a finishing product for walls, ceiling, etc. that can be used in lieu of paint. Finishing the Compressed Earth Block interior of the house with American Clay Earth Plaster made a lot of sense; it was just a question of cost. I took the class to see if this is something I could do myself, or if it's best left to a professional.

I found the class to be a lot of fun and I walked away knowing that this would be a big project, a lot of work, but something I certainly could handle on my own if I plan accordingly and don't expect the entire house to be plastered in one weekend. I'm excited about this option and thrilled that we won't have to drywall the whole house, but may be able to use this plaster instead.

Here are some photos from my training class. The first photo is my sheet after the first coat; the second is my sheet after some decorative finishes we learned (many of which we won't use since we're seeking a relatively smooth, contemporary surface), and following these are photos of the board other students in the class worked on.

Enjoy.




3 comments:

  1. yeah!! i love seeing new posts to your erdhaus blog!! keeping 'em coming!
    i look forward to a trip out to your site when things get rolling!

    larry

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that the American clay will be far superior to drywall. Good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool indeed. Maybe you could be an instructor after all is said and done. We definitely need alternatives to drywall.

    ReplyDelete